Tuesday, July 13, 2010

I's Fourth Birthday Party: Part 2-The Cake

The cake. Oh, the cake. It turned out way better than I could have ever expected. So, without further adieu, I present The Cake.


(photo courtesy of east.west.)

First, we baked three separate cakes: two 9" x 13" rectangles and an 8" square. I used the Deep Chocolate Vegan Cake recipe from Moosewood and let them cool. Next, I made the Fluffy Buttercream frosting recipe from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World and left it at room temperature. We stacked the two 9" x 13"'s on top of each other and centered pieces of the 8" square on the middle top of those and put them in the freezer to cool. Meanwhile, Huz made templates of the car out of cardboard to use for carving the shape. Then, he got the terrifying job of carving the cake.



He did a super job!

Once the cake was carved, we spread a thin crumb coat layer of frosting over it and returned it to the fridge to cool.





While it was cooling, I added color to separate bowls of frosting. I used blue for the main color of the car.

Then I decorated.












I found some vegan fondant at Michael's and was going to use it to add a bunch of details, but it was hard to work with and I didn't end up using it for much.

Some scraps of fondant became rocks to hold up the checkered flags I made from fabric and toothpicks.







And here is the birthday boy receiving the cake!


(lack of excitement is par for the course with this guy!)



Next post will be pictures of the party.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

dude, you never cease to amaze me.

Anonymous said...

It was beautiful! I am so impressed.

- HS in FL

HEAB said...

At least he looked very exciting while eating the cake. :)

Amazing job - I'm quite impressed.